Monday, November 7, 2011

The Promethean Board

Another technology that I have been working with is an interactive white board called the Promethean board. A lot of people have heard of the Smart board, but that is just a name brand, kind of like Kleenex rather than Puffs. I could use this technology to help the students become more involved in the classroom. It takes a little longer to make flipcharts (kind of like a power point slide show), but you can share your flipcharts with any other teachers who use the promethean board (if you want to). I really like that I can use layers (which I just learned). Using layers I can hide answers underneath of pictures and have students identify what each picture represents. Then I can let them move my "reveal-er" over the picture to let them see if they are right. The promethean board also comes with an "iclicker" type of technology, so I can have students answer before we reveal the answer. I really love how interactive the promethean board is, though there are a few glitches. Sometimes the "pen" squeaks against the board which is unpleasant, so I think I would like to use a smart board rather than a promethean board. Another glitch is that sometimes the pen will stay as a clicker even when you try to use it as a pen. I haven't figured out how to get out of the glitch yet, but I hope to. Overall, I really like the promethean board. I would use it if i had one in my classroom, but I would not go out of my way to buy it for my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment